Wednesday 21 June 2017

PACKARD BELL ICONNECT 1100

ID: PCD15

HISTORY


This is another vintage PC I acquired with the objective of data retrieval. This objective could not be met - the original Quantum hard drive had failed in a strange way. Although making a clicking sound, it was detected by my imaging equipment and data could be read. However, only one platter / drive head was working, so only around 50% of the drive could be imaged, the other half being completely unreadable. Unfortunately this meant that all the data was corrupt and unusable. Aside from this, the PC itself looked in great condition, especially considering it's age, and was complete with it's original keyboard, mouse, screen and speakers. A new hard drive, and it could be back up and running, as good as new...



SPECIFICATIONS

Machine Type: Desktop Tower
Model: PACKARD BELL ICONNECT 1100
Year of Manufacturer: 2000
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-6WMM7 REV 4.1
Chipset: INTEL 810
Processor: INTEL CELERON 633MHz (Socket 370)
RAM: 64MB SDR SD-RAM (1x 168-Pin DIMM)
Hard Drive(s): 15GB PATA 3.5" (Replacement: 80GB PATA 3.5")
Optical Drive(s): CD-ROM PATA 5.25"
Graphics: Integrated (Intel)
Audio: Integrated (Intel)
Network: NONE
USB: 1.1 (2 Front, 2 Rear)
Power Supply: FSP 145W ATX (Replacement: FSP 400W ATX)
Other Features: Floppy Disk Drive, Dial-Up Modem
COA: Windows ME



INITIAL INSPECTION

As expected from a PC this old, a few other problems showed up during testing. The power supply had bad 5v and 12v outputs, the power button was sticking and the CD drawer wouldn't open properly. Fortunately, the motherboard looked in good shape, and little dust could be found in and around the cooling fans.


REPAIRS & MODIFICATIONS
  • I had a power supply that worked but was not up to the job of powering the system it was in (too much demand from the processor and graphics card). This proved perfect for this purpose.
  • Suitable replacement CD and hard drives were selected from a number of units that had been kindly donated.
  • The power button was removed and the sides sanded down with emery paper to stop it sticking.
  • The micro switch in the left mouse button was cleaned to increase it's effectiveness.


PREPARATION

With the main hardware items dealt with and diagnostics run, it was time to think about software. With more RAM, this computer could have run Windows XP, but I could see little point in this. Even if a network card was fitted, web browsing would have been very, very slow, and highly impractical. On the other hand, with Windows ME it would stay fast and original, and could still be quite useful as an offline PC, especially with the bigger, faster hard drive now installed.


SETUP

I was amazed at how easy and quick it was to get Windows ME loaded up to a working condition. Despite all it's criticism, I actually found Windows ME quite good, even when it was released back in 2000. I used it on my first self-built PC and it ran well. Likewise here, the operating system boots up in no time at all, making the desktop in a much shorter time than many Windows 10 computers do today. I initially did have a performance issue with mouse judder, but this was soon corrected by enabling DMA mode for the hard drive in Device Manager.


CONCLUSION


Packard Bell often gave away large software bundles with their systems, and this computer was obviously no exception. It was given to me a plastic wallet of disks, many of which would have come bundled with the computer when it was new. It was great to be able to have a quick go with 'Rayman 2' and 'Rally Championship', no doubt still as playable as they ever were. This system is by no means a practical substitute for anything remotely recent, but as a modern classic it would be hard to beat.





15 comments:

  1. do you know what the boot memu is for this not the bios but boot menu

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a look through the manual for the motherboard but could not find any mention of a boot menu. I don't think PCs of this age often had one. What are you trying to do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been trying to find an old Packard Bell iConnect tower for ages! Pure nostalgia for me. Do you still have it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Unfortunately not. It might be worth looking on eBay.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Matthew,

    I'm trying to find materials and parts to put together and restore a 2001 iXtreme model, the one with the 1ghz P3 in it. I have just the case, no monitor... no documentation. Do you have either?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately I don't. I suspect the graphics card would have a VGA output, so just about any monitor should work. As for documentation, it might be on the Internet, somewhere. You could try accessing the Packard Bell website through time machine (www.archive.org) to see if you can find any information about the computer as a whole. Alternatively, if you need to know about about memory details, or expansion cards that would be accepted it might be better to use Google to look up information on the motherboard installed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My first PC was exactly this one <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. For the person asking about graphics cards, I had one of these models (though I am almost certain it came with a 733mhz processor). I distinctly remember getting a PCI graphics card which allowed me to run Battlefield 1942 at terrible frame rates; good memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had one of these as a kid I will be 28 tomorrow so don't really no my age at the time I'm guessing around 2001/2002. Would love to get hold.of one again. The speakers were actually pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is amazing - I had this exact PC and have searched for it for years. I wish I could get my hands on one. Do you know of any?

    ReplyDelete
  11. All those people wanting.. mines going tomorrow.
    It has no boot menu, way way before that.
    Has half good OB graphics and only a agp2x port. I tried with a Matrox PCI card, however with a 66hz bus the OB is better.

    Love firing it up on a cold boot as it makes all the right noise's.

    Slightly had upgrades, now with 512mb sdram. With win98se there is 91% free resources.

    It's a nice small dos/win98/me system. Not a bad CPU, but could be better.. but great for what it is

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you sold this?! I cannot believe how late I am to this!

      Delete
    2. Unfortunately I no longer have the computer!

      Delete
    3. Thanks for getting back to me Matthew! After a long search I have managed to find all of the original parts and case, even monitor with speakers. Crazy story how a bunch of equally passionate retro PC nerds such as myself supported and helped find things!

      Delete
  12. As an update, I have bought and found the desktop (minus the motherboard and hard drive sadly, so I will be hunting for them) and the monitor. I just need those amazing speakers now!

    ReplyDelete